JULIEN'S AUCTIONS IS PROUD TO PRESENT THE ALL-STAR LINEUP OF "SPORTS LEGENDS" TAKING PLACE SATURDAY, JULY 17TH AND SUNDAY, JULY 18TH LIVE IN BEVERLY HILLS AND ONLINE AT JULIEN'S LIVE.
View Auction Results
Over 800 historic sports collectibles from the wide worlds of basketball, soccer, baseball, hockey, football, tennis, golf, the Olympics and beyond will be up for auction featuring rare and valuable game-winning jerseys, trading cards, shirts, trophies, medals, sports equipment and other memorabilia. Among the league of champions headlining the event include LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Colin Kaepernick, Diego Maradona, Tiger Woods, Rafael Nadal, Babe Ruth, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, and more.
Click to Order Limited Edition Catalogue
Heading the starting lineup of marquee items is LeBron James’ St. Vincent – St. Mary’s high school jersey which he wore for his iconic Sports Illustrated “The Chosen One” cover of the February 18th, 2002 issue, which accompanies the lot. Consigned by investor Mark Pepitone from his world record-breaking collection, this photo-matched jersey was worn both for the historic photo shoot and the high school game that same evening where James scored 32 points and collected seven rebounds. The most watched and famous pre-college prospect to ever play the game, James wore this very jersey when he was introduced to the sporting world by gracing his very first cover of Sports Illustrated. He went directly from high school to become the first overall pick in the 2003 NBA Draft, won four NBA titles, four league MVP's, garnered 17 All-Star selections and is arguably the greatest player of all-time.
One of the most sought-after modern trading cards of all time will appear in the sale of Michael Jordan’s 1986-1987 Fleer #57 Basketball Rookie Card, PSA Gem Mint 10. Don’t worry, if you don’t land this one, there is also a BGS Mint 9 of the same card. Pictured on the card is the legendary basketball superstar at his best, gliding over defenders for a jam with his tongue out. The 14-time All-Star and five-time MVP legend and Basketball Hall of Famer, who was named the greatest North American athlete of the 20th century by ESPN’s “SportsCentury’s” distinguished 48-member panel, led the Chicago Bulls to six NBA championships and won the NBA Finals Most Valuable Player award in each of those championships. That isn’t the only MJ related memorabilia that has people frothing at the mouth. A pair of playoff game worn Air Jordan’s signed by the legend also find themselves offered, along with one of his few 1992 Olympic Dream Team game worn jerseys, both of which come with SIA authentication. Not to be outdone, two rookie-season game worn uniforms, yes you read that right, the entire uniforms from Kobe Bryant make their appearance on the auction block. There is one home uniform and one gorgeous road uniform signed twice by the recent Hall of Fame inductee. Both uniforms have been authenticated by Sports Investors Authentication.
Do you like sports trading cards? If so, get excited because you will find a handful of highly valuable and sought-after cards that have broken the market of late. Tom Brady’s 2000 Playoff Contenders #144 card is highlighted. The card has a BGS 9 with a BGS 10 Auto grading, the exact same as the card that just sold for over $3 million. Along with that gem, Mike Trout’s 2009 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor, graded a BGS 9.5 with a BGS 10 Auto also hits the block.
Considered one of the greatest players of the game, a collection of treasures from Diego Maradona’s spectacular career and legacy is expected to be one of the highly anticipated moments of the auction. Signed and game worn jerseys, worn by "El Pibe de Oro" ("The Golden Boy") including the 1990 World Cup match against Brazil and the game where he scored his first ever goal for Argentina, as well as his signed and worn boots for F.C. Barcelona during their historic 1983-1984 season will go for the goal (photo left). The Argentine soccer icon, who passed away on November 25, 2020 in Argentina at the age of 60 years old, is widely remembered for the 'Hand of God' goal of the century that led Argentina to victory over England in the 1986 World Cup tournament, as well as his many other FIFA victories for the Argentina National Team.
Other historic soccer items include the very first ball used at the first World Cup in 1930, in a match between Uruguay and Peru and a 1994 World Cup gold medal awarded to a member of the Brazil national football team.
You want some provenance; how about the FIFA Museum in Zurich. That is where you would have found Zinedine Zidane’s 1998 FIFA World Cup Final jersey prior to it being sent directly into this auction. Now, it is up for grabs to the highest bidder. Considered one of the greatest contributors to the sport ever, both as a player and as a manager, Zidane netted two goals as the French side captured their first ever World Cup title defeating Brazil 3-0.
Talk about provenance; how about the estate of Lefty Gomez. Gomez, one of the greatest pitchers in the history of baseball, helped Babe Ruth and the New York Yankees win five World Series championships from 1932 through 1939, with Gomez going an astounding 6-0 in World Series play. The only thing bigger than his play is his unbelievable collection of memorabilia, including the contract received and signed by Babe Ruth, appointing Gomez to the All-American baseball team of 1934, his first ever professionally used baseball glove from the 1920’s, the infamous diamond brooch given to June O’Dea Gomez by Claire Ruth, Babe’s wife, and many, many more treasures that take you back almost 100 years.
Other sensational highlights include:
- Colin Kaepernick’s game worn #10 University of Nevada 2008 season jersey signed in the summer of 2010 ahead of the greatest season in Wolf Pack history where the former NFL quarterback and social justice activist and cultural figure led his team to a 13-1 record, beating #5 Boise State in his final home game. Kaepernick is the only college football player in Division 1 history to throw for over 10,000 yards and rush for over 4,000 yards;
- New York Yankee baseball lore including a home jersey game worn by the Bronx Bombers’ legendary shortstop Derek Jeter on July 28, 2013, at Yankee Stadium in a game against the Tampa Bay Rays where the injury plagued Jeter hit his first home run of the 2013 season during the first inning of the game, a home jersey game worn by legendary Yankees closer Mariano Rivera during their storied 1996 season, Rivera's second season in Major League Baseball, which would culminate with Rivera and his Yankees teammates winning the World Series–the first of five career World Series victories for Rivera, and a menu from the Ford Luncheon held at the Jefferson Davis Hotel on Friday, July 25th, 1947, signed by “The Bambino” himself, Yankee giant, Babe Ruth;
- A unique piece of Olympics history – the 1984 Olympic Light Heavyweight Gold Medal awarded to Yugoslavian boxer Anton Josipovic following the controversial disqualification of American boxer Evander Holyfield by the Yugoslavian referee during his semi-final bout;
- Tennis great Rafael Nadal’s signed jersey and headband worn throughout the 2019 Australian Open, including in the final against Novak Djokovic;
- Golf legend Tiger Woods’ signed golf glove that was donated to a celebrity auction benefitting St. Jude's Children's Hospital in 1999 and more.
If you can't make it out to Beverly Hills to bid in person, you can still watch all the action as well as bid online at Julien's Live
View Auction Results
This limited catalogue also provides an opportunity for a special keepsake for your collection.
Customers who purchased this item also bought...
Julien's Auctions and Turner Classic Movies Present Hollywood Legends
Ringo Starr - Lifted - Celestial Signature Edition
Ringo Starr - Lifted - Celestial Edition
Property From The Life and Career of Betty White